The Chicago White Sox and the Milwaukee Brewers will close out their four-game series tonight at Guaranteed Rate Field, with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 pm (CT). The White Sox currently lead the series two games to one after taking the first two in Milwaukee and dropping last night’s game at home. Before we get into the pitching matchup and other notes, the White Sox made a pair of roster moves this afternoon to trim their active roster to 28.
Good Guys: Gio Gonzalez (0-0, 7.36 ERA)
- Gio Gonzalez pitched for the Milwaukee Brewers in each of the last two seasons, making 24 appearances and posting a 10-11 record. Gonzalez recorded a 4.21 ERA during his time with the Brewers.
- Gonzalez is making his second start (third appearance) for the White Sox in place of the injured Reynaldo Lopez. Gonzalez has allowed six earned runs on 12 hits in just 7.1 innings of work, striking out nine and walking four in his previous appearances against the Minnesota Twins and Milwaukee Brewers.
- Gonzalez is 2-5 with a 5.24 ERA in 10 previous starts against the Brewers.
Bad Guys: Josh Lindblom (0-0, 4.91 ERA)
- Josh Lindblom is making his second start of the season for the Brewers. In his last start against the Pittsburgh Pirates on July 28, Lindblom allowed two runs on three hits in just 3.2 innings of work. Lindblom struck out five and walked three in that appearance.
- Lindblom’s only career appearance against the White Sox came in relief with the Dodgers on 6/16/12 at Dodger Stadium (1IP, 1 BB, 1 K).
- Prior to joining Milwaukee, Lindblom pitched the majority of 2015-19 in the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) with the Lotte Giants (2015-17) and Doosan Bears (2018-19).
Six Pack O’ Stats
- The White Sox enter play with a 7-5 record, trailing Minnesota for the top spot in the ALC by just three games.
- The White Sox’s six-game winning streak that came to an end on Wednesday night was the team’s longest road winning streak since 2015, and longest in general since 2017.
- Rookie Outfielder Luis Robert enters play with a 1.0 fWAR, second to only Mike Yastrzemski of the Giants (1.1).
- Since 2014, Jose Abreu has 223 game-tying or go-ahead RBI, second to only Nolan Arenado (232) according to NBC Sports Network Chicago.
- Sox starter Gio Gonzalez has an opposing hitter slash line of .267/.357/.408/.764 in 55 innings against the Brewers.
- The White Sox have a team OPS of .779, tied with the Chicago Cubs for third-best in baseball.
Pick to Click
I’m going with Zack Collins tonight. It’s been nearly impossible to get the kid some at-bats this season — that’s a good thing — with Edwin Encarnacion, Yasmani Grandal, and James McCann occupying the DH role, but with Encarnacion out and Grandal back behind the dish tonight, Collins will get a start against the right-handed Lindblom.
After tonight’s ballgame, the White Sox will host the Cleveland Indians in a three-game series at Guaranteed Rate Field this weekend. The two teams last met in the second series of the season, and the Indians took two-of-three from the White Sox at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio.
Saturday: TBD vs. Zach Plesac (0-1, 1.80 ERA)
Featured Photo: Getty Images